Mounds Brownies take a basic brownie recipe and dress it up with coconut, simply by adding Mounds candy bars. It's amazing how such a simple addition can really transform an otherwise ordinary dessert into something unique and seemingly decadant. You get a nice-sized chunk of candy bar in each brownie, and fans of chocolate and coconut will enjoy the complementary flavors.
By the way, it's that time of week again. We are now in Week 5 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats! While this recipe is shared in part to use up Halloween candy, these Mounds Brownies would be a super fun addition to your holiday treat platter. They're something a little different yet delicious and very easy to make too.
Yields 16 brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 snack-size Mounds candy bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or a use double-boiler), stirring frequently until melted. Remove bowl from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until well-blended. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Fold in flour mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place Mounds bars on top of batter, pressing down slightly. (I did 3 rows of 4).
- Bake until just set, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop. And if you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us.