Last Saturday was a special anniversary. An anniversary worthy of these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes made with chocolate cake, filled with peanut butter and topped with a fluffy chocolate frosting. These cupcakes are light, decadent and perfect to celebrate this milestone anniversary. This anniversary in question, or blog-o-versary as some call it, marks the 1 year anniversary of Alida's Kitchen!
The chocolate/peanut butter combination is always a winner for any celebration. I doubled the amount of peanut butter filling from the original recipe, which resulted in a generous amount of peanut butter. It had a good peanut butter to chocolate ratio, which is key. I used my go-to chocolate frosting, which is a classic and pipes really nicely.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes were super easy to make and the result was the perfect treat to celebrate the 1 year blog-o-versary of Alida's Kitchen. I want to thank you all so much for visiting and for cooking and baking with me this past year!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Yields 24 cupcakes
6 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese (the 1/3 less fat kind), at room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons skim milk
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make Filling: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and milk until combined. Set aside.
- Make Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, water, milk, oil and vanilla. Fold into dry ingredients until just moistened. (note: batter will be thin).
- Fill prepared muffin cups half full with batter.
- Divide filling evenly amongst the 24 cups, dropping spoonfuls of filling in the center of each cup (Tip: using a scale is handy for measuring and even distribution. If you don't have a scale, The filling amounts to approx. a generous rounded tablespoon per cupcake).
- Cover each cup with remaining batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and the move cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, frost with chocolate frosting and decorate as desired.
- Make Frosting: Melt the butter. Whisk in the cocoa powder, whisking until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla and alternately add powdered sugar and milk, using a hand mixer (or stand mixer) to beat to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed.