Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese is a delicious, cheesy, veggie-filled baked pasta with a Mexican twist. It is made with three different cheeses (yum!) and lots of vegetables (yum!). The chipotle chiles add a nice smokiness and spice which, along with the chili powder, balance nicely with the tomatoes and cheeses. Black beans give a protein and fiber boost while adding a nice color contrast to the rest of the dish. A traditional breadcrumb topping is sprinkled over the top before baking.
Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese is very easy to prepare and the result is no ordinary mac 'n cheese, that's for sure. This recipe makes plenty, and the leftovers heat up nicely for lunches the next day.
Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
Yields 6 servings
2 cups dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or other short pasta)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, including juices
1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle chiles)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chiles, onion, and bell pepper, and cook 4 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with flour and chili powder, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Add adobo sauce, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk, Parmesan and egg, stirring until combined and cheese is melted. Add cooked pasta and black beans, stirring until combined.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Pour pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.