The dough is very simple to make and takes around 10 minutes. To make it easier to work with, I recommend refrigerating the dough for a couple hours (if you can wait overnight, even better).
Root Beer Float Cookies
Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed root beer flavored hard candies (approx 8)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 cup powdered sugar
3 to 5 teaspoons root beer (or milk)
additional crushed root beer flavored hard candies (optional, for garnish)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon and allspice.
- In a separate large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the flour mixture with the butter mixture until just combined. Stir in crushed candies. For best results, refrigerate dough for 1 hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet and then move cookies to wire rack to cool completely (at least 20 minutes).
- Root Beer Glaze: Stir powdered sugar and root beer, adding the root beer by the teaspoonful, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies and sprinkle with crushed candies, as desired.
Adapted from Eat Better America