With Saint Patrick's Day just around the corner, I wanted to make you something a little festive. While brownies may not be considered traditional, I figure you can never go wrong with chocolate. Add a little Bailey's Irish Cream, and these brownies become the perfect little treat to celebrate the holiday!
This recipe combines elements from a couple "lighter" recipes. The result is a delicious, from-scratch brownie, made with Irish Cream, topped with an Irish Cream frosting. The amount of frosting yields just enough to cover the brownies, or to pipe a cute little swirl of frosting as I have pictured here. A little bit goes a long way taste-wise, but if you're a frosting fiend, you may want to double the recipe.
Frosted Irish Cream Brownies
Yields 16 brownies
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter (I used light butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 egg substitute (or 4 large eggs)
1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Irish Cream Frosting:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Bailey's Irish Cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
skim milk, as needed
green and white sprinkles (for decorating, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a large microwavable bowl, add chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high in 30-second increments until chocolate and butter melt. Let cool slightly and then add sugar, egg substitute, Irish Cream and vanilla extract, stirring well with a whisk. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture, folding gently until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. (Note: The key to a fudgy brownie is to not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, Irish Cream and vanilla extract and beat until blended. Add milk by the teaspoonful, as needed, to achieve desired consistency. Spread, or pipe over, cooled brownies. Decorate with sprinkles, as desired.