It seems we save cupcakes for a special occasion - to celebrate a birthday, a holiday, an accomplishment, etc. When I made these cupcakes, I didn't have any particular occasion in mind. I decided to make these Pink Grapefruit Cupcakes 'just because.' Just because it's been a while since I last made cupcakes. Just because there is always a reason to celebrate something. Just because citrus is aplenty right now,...let's try something new!
These cupcakes are really easy to make and a unique way to enjoy grapefruit. The cake alone has a subtle citrus flavor - just enough grapefruit flavor without being overpowering. When topped with the grapefruit cream cheese frosting, it becomes dangerouly good. The cream cheese gives the right amount of tang to balance the grapefruit flavor and brings it all together into a sweet and delicious cupcake.
Pink Grapefruit Cupcakes were fun to make, fun to eat, and fun to share...all just because. ;)
Pink Grapefruit Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulates sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (nonfat or 2% reduced-fat)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pink grapefruit zest (1 softball-sized grapefruit yielded approximately 1 tablespoon)
4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled (block)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pink grapefruit zest
2 teaspoons pink grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix until smooth.
- To the butter mixture, add half of flour mixture, and combine; repeat with remaining flour mixture. Add yogurt and vanilla, blending with a rubber spatula. Fold in zest, mixing until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (about 2/3 full). Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place cream cheese in a medium bowl and baet on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla zest and juice, beating until smooth. Frost cupcakes as desired.
Adapted from Health