I had been craving something with coconut for some time, and it occurred to me that coconut paired with cranberries would be a lovely combination. Cranberries are so wonderful in the wintertime. They add beautiful, seasonal color, as well as a delightful zing to any dish. Of course, my next thought was...let's make muffins!
The sweetness of the coconut was the perfect counterbalance to the tangy cranberries. The whole family loved these, especially Adam (though at first, the cranberries were a bit too surprising). Adam asked for coconut cranberry muffins every day for weeks. Quite frankly, an almost 2 year old saying 'coconut cranberry' anything is quite possibly the cutest thing ever. As if you didn't need another reason to make these...they are just plain good!
Coconut Cranberry Muffins
Yields 18 muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare 18 muffin cups with liners or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir flours, sugar, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt, until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour, gently folding until combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Linked to Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for Saturday #50