Adam's nap cycle is pretty predictable. He typically naps for 2-3 hours each day, but occasionally goes through week-long periods of 1 hour naps. Sometimes it's due to teeth, sometimes it's due to growing, and sometimes who knows. We have been through it enough to know that it passes in about a week. So when we found ourselves through week 2 of short naps, it was a little disconcerting (and tiring) for all. Fortunately, we did made it through the latest short-nap phase, and these Pumpkin Apple Muffins are a result of those extra 2 hours I was not expecting.
I have been working on a recipe for Pumpkin Apple Muffins for quite a while. When I found myself with extra apples from other recipes and several cans of pumpkin puree, it was clearly time to execute my vision. The combination of my two favorite fall flavors was just so appealing. The result is a moist, flavorful muffin that is a perfect blend of pumpkin and apple.
After Adam's blissful 3 hour nap, I decided we should split a muffin for snack. Before he could even finish his first bite, Adam said 'more muffin.' Over and over, 'more muffin for Adam' until he finished nearly 3/4 of our muffin. His enthusiasm says it all...these are fantastic!
Pumpkin Apple Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 eggs (or 1 egg and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons water - see note)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 medium apple, cored and shredded (any variety)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups in a standard muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and baking soda until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix pumpkin, oil, eggs, applesauce and apple until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold until combined. (note: batter will be thick)
- Divide batter evenly amongst 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.