Let's just get this out in the open. Yes, I am doing another strawberry recipe. And yes, I am doing another strawberry recipe with yogurt. Every year around the Fourth of July, I look forward to making this healthy version of a strawberry pie. It just so happens to coincide my Strawberry Yogurt Muffins post from Wednesday. I promise you a break from strawberry and yogurt recipes in the coming weeks. In fact, there are even some indulgent recipes on the horizon!
There are 3 parts to making this pie. The first step is making yogurt cheese, which is draining plain yogurt through cheesecloth. This step needs to be done a day in advance, as the yogurt needs at least 16 hours to drain.
Part 2 is making the crust. This crust is a simple stir and roll crust which uses oil instead of shortening. It is nice and thin, and serves as the perfect vehicle for the rest of the pie.
The last step involves mixing the yogurt cheese with sugar, vanilla and chopped strawberries; then pouring that mixture in the crust and topping/decorating with strawberry halves. It is all very easy.
Now I do not want to mislead you into believing this pie is a replica of its sugary, fat-laden counterpart because it is not. It is, however, delicious, light and healthy! It's a wonderful summer dessert!
Happy pre-Fourth of July and have a great weekend!
Fresh Strawberry Pie ~ Lightened up!
Yields 8 servings
16 oz plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons powdered sugar (adjust amount to taste and the sweetness of your berries)
1 cup diced strawberries
approximately 1/2-1 pound strawberries, halved (the amount depends on the size of your berries)
1 tablespoon strawberry preserves (optional) - amount many vary depending on size of strawberries
1 Stir 'n Roll Pie Crust (recipe below)
- Make yogurt cheese: Arrange wire strainer lined with double thickness cheesecloth (or coffee filters) over bowl. Spoon yogurt into lined strainer; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until liquid has drained from yogurt and yogurt is very thick (16-24 hours). Discard liquid.
- Combine yogurt cheese, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and diced strawberries.
- Pour yogurt mixture in cool pie crust, spreading evenly. Top with strawberry halves.
- Optional (see note below): Microwave strawberry preserves for 5-10 seconds, just to melt it. Then with a spoon or silicone pastry brush, brush the strawberries with preserves.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until serving.
Stir 'n Roll Pie Crust
Yields 1 9" pie crust
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons cold skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine flour and salt; stir in oil and milk just until blended. Form dough into a smooth ball.
- Dampen counter top. Place 12 x 15 inch sheet of waxed paper on dampened counter. Place pastry on paper; cover with another sheet of waxed paper. Roll dough into a 12 inch circle, turning dough and paper over once to roll evenly.
- Peel off top paper. Lift dough and paper, and place dough-side down in pie plate, fitting dough to the plate. Carefully peel off the remaining paper.
- Trim edge so it fits evenly with the pie plate. Prick dough with fork, and press edges with tines of fork.
- Bake until golden brown (12 to15 minutes). Remove to wire rack to cool.
Adapted from The Best of Byerly's Cookbook