Easy Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are a simplified version of a chewy homemade Oreo cookie. The chocolate cookies are soft, yet sturdy and the filling is a sweetened cream cheese frosting. The dough literally took me 5 minutes minutes to whip together. I feared the dough would be gooey and messy to work with, but it was quite firm and rolled into balls by hand without a huge sticky mess.
These cookies are fun any holiday or celebration because you can color the filling to suit any occasion or simply roll the sides in sprinkles for a cute, colorful decoration. The recipe yields a generous amount of cookies, which is perfect if you're looking to share. It also halves easily, which is what I did...(I still shared though) :)
I am sharing these delicious yet super easy cookies as part of Week 4 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats, hosted by Meal Planning Magic. While this recipe makes plenty and these cookies are perfect for any holiday cookie platter, I made them pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Week hosted by Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts. To conclude Breast Cancer Awareness Week, tomorrow Erin is hosting a giveaway, so be sure to visit Dinners, Dishes and Desserts on Friday for a chance to win!
Be sure to check out the thumbnails at the bottom of this post and visit the other bloggers who are posting amazing recipes today in support of Breast Cancer Awareness, and also for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats!
Easy Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Yields approximately 4 dozen sandwich cookies
2 packages devil's food cake mix
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened - (I used Neufachtel / 1/3 less fat)
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring or sprinkles for decorating, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mixes, eggs and oil until combined (Note: I used a hand mixer; batter will be very stiff).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Using the side of a silicone spatula, press to flatten the balls slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before filling. (Note: I baked the cookies the night before and did the filling the next day).
- For the filling: In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Finish decorating, as desired.
Be sure to check out the bloggers who are supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Week for some delicious pink and/or healthy recipes!
Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop. And if you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us