Inspired from my Chicken Tostada Salad, I decided to poach the chicken breasts and then used 2 forks to shred the chicken. Actually, Mike shredded the chicken while I wiped out the pan and heated up the sauce. At that point, it's just a matter of minutes until dinner is served. The original recipe calls for shredded rotisserie chicken, which would be a great time saver (just skip to step 3). Either way, these Pulled Chicken Sandwiches can be made in less than 30 minutes, making them a great weeknight dinner, or any time!
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Yields 4 servings
1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (or regular hot sauce), adjust to taste
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 whole wheat buns, toasted
1 cup broccoli slaw (optional, for topping)
- Put chicken in a large sauce pan and then add enough water to cover the chicken. Add a couple pinches of salt. Bring liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Then cover, remove from heat and let sit for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Put cooked chicken in a separate bowl and, using 2 forks, shred chicken. Wipe out sauce pan to use for sauce.
- In sauce pan, whisk the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cumin until combined. Put over medium heat to bring the sauce to a simmer until slightly thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Add chicken to the sauce, tossing to coat and to warm up the chicken (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Divide chicken evenly among buns and top with slaw, as desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info per serving of chicken/sauce
Amounts for your bun or tortilla will be in addition to the above. The whole wheat bun I used was 160 calories, which was average-sized.
Adapted from Cooking Light