This Chicken Tostada Salad recipe uses a technique for chicken that simply doesn't cross my mind often enough - poaching! Poaching is an easy and healthy way to cook chicken, without any added fat, in about 20 minutes. In this recipe, the poached chicken is shredded and serves as a perfect blank slate for the salad, which combines simple but flavorful ingredients, such as red onions, chili powder, garlic, and lime juice.
The base of the salad is a crispy, toasted tortilla, with cheese baked right on it. I have used both romaine lettuce and mixed greens. It is good either way, but since I have mixed greens on hand at all times, that is what I tend to use. Go with what you like best! We enjoyed this tostada salad so much for dinner, I decided to make it for lunch again the next day. It was that good!
Chicken Tostada Salad
Yields 4 servings
1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless (or rotisserie chicken breast)
4 corn tortillas
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, plus additional for topping (optional)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
Coarse salt and pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 head of romaine lettuce, shredded OR 5 ounces of your favorite mixed greens
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1 avocado, diced
Fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken in medium pot, and add enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let chicken stand, covered until cooked through (about 12 to 14 minutes). Remove chicken from liquid and shred with 2 forks.
- Spray corn tortillas with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Baked until golden and crisp (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- While tortillas are in the oven, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the onion and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add chili powder and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add chicken and the water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is warmed through and water has evaporated (about 2 to 3 minutes). Stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and remove from heat.
- After tortillas are toasted, sprinkle each tortillas evenly with cheese and bake until cheese is bubbling (about 3 minutes). Remove from oven.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce and remaining lime juice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to coat and divide evenly among tortillas; top each with chicken mixture, tomato, avocado, remaining onion, and cilantro or cheese (optional, for topping).