Everybody needs a go-to recipe for a classic sugar cookie. While these Chewy Sugar Cookies will never trump my grandma's melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies, this is the ultimate chewy sugar cookie recipe. The texture is chewy (obviously), the flavor is unbeatable, they have that perfect crackly top, and they're easy to make. Can't beat that! The key to making these chewy is to be sure to flatten to no bigger than 2-inch diameter and not to overbake. Otherwise you may end up with a crispier sugar cookie, which frankly is really not a bad thing. The flavor of these cookies is so incredible, they are good chewy or crispy.
Chewy Sugar Cookies
Yields 24 cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 12 pieces (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and hot
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk (I used skim)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside (this will be used for rolling).
- In a medium bowl, whick the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 1 1/2 cups sugar and cream cheese. Pour butter over sugar and cream cheese and whisk to combine (some small lumps may remain). Whisk in oil until incorporated. Add egg, milk and vanilla; continue to whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture and mix with rubber spatula until dough forms.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Using hands, roll dough into balls. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat and place on prepared baking sheets, 12 balls per sheet. Using bottom of drinking glass, flatten balls until 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle tops evenly with sugar remaining in shallow dish (discard any remaining sugar).
- Bake 1 tray at a time until edges are set and beginning to brown, about 11 to 13 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely before serving.