I hope everyone enjoyed a festive holiday weekend. I had a nice break, did a lot of packing and moving, and am now excited to be back here to share one of my favorite winter recipes ~ Three Bean Vegetarian Chili, also known as "Veg Head" Chili. This chili could not be any easier to put together and on the table around 30 minutes.
This chili is hearty enough to satisfy meat eaters and vegetarians alike...due to the addition of the third bean of "Three Bean." The refried beans are an unexpected addition that thickens the chili perfectly and gives it a the nice hearty texture. Combined with the other beans and all of the vegetables and spices, this chili has quickly become a family favorite.
What goes better with chili than....you guessed it. Cornbread! Later this week I will be sharing what we enjoyed with our chili.
Yields 4 to 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced (or grated)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 (15 ounce) can fat free vegetarian refried beans
Topping ideas: shredded cheese, scallions, tortilla chips, tomatoes, sour cream
- Over medium heat, in a 5-quart dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil until smoking.
- Combine onion, peppers and garlic and add to pot and saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables.
- Deglaze pan with broth, add tomatoes, black beans and kidney beans. Stir to combine.
- Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce and salt (if using).
- Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans.
- Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer and then serve with desired toppings.