I wanted to make something healthy, convenient and easy. I also wanted to make something with oats. It was time to roll up my sleeves, grab ingredients from the pantry and experiment.
After adding a little here, a touch there,...voila! I finally got the results I was looking for, using simple wholesome ingredients found in my pantry.
This healthy snack could not be any easier to make. The recipe requires no baking; simply measure, mix, roll and chill. The mixture may seem a little dry at first, but as you continue to mix it comes together (or add a little more honey or peanut butter to moisten the mixture to a consistency that works for you). Rolling the balls in a coating as optional. It makes the balls a little less sticky on the fingers, and also is a fun way to vary the flavors, but it is not necessary.
Healthy Peanut Butter Balls are a healthy and delicious snack, or even a quick breakfast on-the-go, featuring one of my favorite foods of all time...peanut butter!
Healthy Peanut Butter Balls
Yields 16-18 balls
1 cup peanut butter, natural is preferred (chunky or creamy)
2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar)
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
cocoa powder, wheat germ, powdered sugar, chopped peanuts, (optional) - for coating
- Heat peanut butter and honey in the microwave until easily mixed, about 15-20 seconds. Stir until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, flaxseed and coconut (if using) until combined.
- Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture and stir until incorporated. (Mixture may seem a little dry at first...just keep mixing).
- Form a rounded tablespoonful of the combined mixture into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all mixture is used. Now, if you do not want to coat the balls, skip to step 6.
- Roll each ball in whatever coating suits your preference. Cocoa powder, powdered sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon sugar and chopped peanuts are some ideas.
- Chill the plate of balls in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour, or overnight.