While the recipe looked nearly perfect as-is, I decided to add a little twist and use coconut oil instead of canola oil. This was my first time using coconut oil, but I had high hopes it would be the perfect addition to these muffins.
The coconut oil imparts a delicious coconut flavor to the muffins, which works beautifully with the tangy blueberries. The muffins are incredibly moist as well. Score for the coconut oil, and score for another fantastic recipe for blueberry muffins!
Brown Sugar Coconut Blueberry Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 teaspoons brown sugar, for topping
2 teaspoons sweetened flaked coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, stirring gently until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a sprinkle of coconut.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to wire rack to cool completely.