With tacos, each person can customize the toppings to suit his/her preferences, and I like that. You know what else I like? These black bean tacos! I have never had a black bean taco before, and boy have I been missing out. They are awesome!
They were really quick and easy to make, and the result was fabulous! In addition to changing the recipe to a taco concept, I also added more veggies and changed up the spices a bit. Next time I will add 2 chopped bell peppers to the mix (a welcome addition to my beef taco recipe - to be posted). I have written the recipe below accordingly. Enjoy!
Chipotle Black Bean Tacos
Yields 6 tacos
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
1/3 cup vegetable broth
2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa
6 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
Topping ideas for serving: spinach or lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt or sour cream, chopped green onions, salsa
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers to pan and saute for 3-5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle chilis, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beans and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat until medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in salsa. Mash lightly using a potato masher (or fork).
- Stack tortillas, wrap in damp paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds.
- Serve 1/3 cup filling for each tortilla along with desired toppings.